I reply to all queries on the forums and via email, once per day, Monday to Friday (not weekends).

If you are new here, please see some information on how to ask for support. Thank you!

White screen of death

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi, when I install this plugin on WordPress original theme it works like a charm but when I enable my custom theme it give me the white screen of death. Is there an easy way to debug this?

Anonymous
    Inactive
    alexg
    Keymaster

Hello,

Thanks for reporting. You’ve already done the first step which is to identify the component that causes the problem.

The best way to debug this is to disable your theme, then observe the logs while enabling the theme. If you cannot access the admin screens to deactivate the theme, simply delete its directory from wp-content/themes

There will be some PHP error written out at the moment when the theme is being enabled. If you have ssh access to your server, use tail -f on your PHP error log. This should be somewhere under /var/log on most Unix systems.

You should also enable WordPress logging: https://codex.wordpress.org/Debugging_in_WordPress

This will let you observe a log at wp-content/debug.log. At the very minimum I would recommend that you insert the following to your wp-config.php:

define( 'WP_DEBUG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_LOG', true );
    define( 'WP_DEBUG_DISPLAY', false );

Please post here any errors that are generated at the moment the white screen is shown. We will then need to decide if this is something that I need to fix or if it needs to be fixed by the theme developers.

kind regards
    Alex

Anonymous
    Inactive
    [24-Apr-2018 15:01:36 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare tgmpa() (previously declared in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wallets-multiadapter/includes/third-party/TGM-Plugin-Activation/class-tgm-plugin-activation.php:2175) in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/gags/functions/class-tgm-plugin-activation.php on line 2126
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Popular_Posts has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/gags-plugin/widgets/gags-popular.php on line 21
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Recent_Posts has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/gags-plugin/widgets/gags-recent.php on line 21
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Trending_Posts has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/gags-plugin/widgets/gags-trending.php on line 21
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Categories has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/gags-plugin/widgets/gags-categories.php on line 21
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Top_Author has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/gags-plugin/widgets/gags-top-users.php on line 21
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Custom_Menu has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/gags/includes/widgets/gags-custom-menu.php on line 21
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Deprecated:  Methods with the same name as their class will not be constructors in a future version of PHP; Gags_Post_Category_List has a deprecated constructor in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/gags/includes/widgets/gags-category-list.php on line 19
    [24-Apr-2018 15:05:14 UTC] PHP Fatal error:  Cannot redeclare tgmpa() (previously declared in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/plugins/wallets-multiadapter/includes/third-party/TGM-Plugin-Activation/class-tgm-plugin-activation.php:2175) in /var/www/html/wordpress/wp-content/themes/gags/functions/class-tgm-plugin-activation.php on line 2126

alexg
    Keymaster

Thank you.

This is a common issue with the TGMPA library. This is a common library for tracking dependencies between WordPress components (themes and plugins).

Some themes do not load TGMPA correctly because they assume that no other plugin is using that same library.

Simply delete the file wp-content/plugins/wallets-multiadapter/includes/third-party/TGM-Plugin-Activation/class-tgm-plugin-activation.php for a quick workaround. Do the same for all other dashed-slug extensions that you may have installed.

Ideally you should tell the theme developers to load TGMPA only if not previously defined.

kind regards

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is the wp-content/debug.log

Anonymous
    Inactive

Great, thanks mate it works.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.