I reply to all queries on the forums and via email, once per day, Monday to Friday (not weekends).

If you are new here, please see some information on how to ask for support. Thank you!

Site Hangs

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    sagejyoung

Hi Alex,

having run a local version of wordpress and the ‘wallets and multicoin’; adpater for the past 5 months i have taken your advice and have now migrated the the site to a VPS. Whilst doing a fresh install using WP Version 5.9 and the wallets plugin 5.0.16 – when updating the IP address of the machine running the daemon the site appears to hang.

For example:
    127.0.0.1 to change to 81.98.01.1 in the setting of RCPAllowip input box sees the site hang when I click update. Super strange as I am running older WP version (5.8) and wallets on localhost and all seems to update there fine.

Have you encountered this issue before? I haven’t and hence me reaching out.

Kind Regards
    Sage

alexg
    Keymaster

Hello,

When you visit your wordpress site, does the request complete or does it keep loading in the browser?

If it completes quickly, you should enable and check the WordPress debug log.

If it hangs and keeps loading, or times out after a round multiple of 10 or 15 seconds (e.g. 10,15,20,30,40,45,60 seconds), then this is typically an indication that the plugin tries to communicate to your wallet server, but encounters a firewall. This is typically your hosting provider’s firewall disallowing outgoing communication.

Talk to your WordPress host and explain to them that you need outgoing TCP connections to the port you’re using and to your wallet server’s IP. They will be able to add an exception rule to their firewall.

Let me know if after this you are not able to resolve the issue.

with regards

sagejyoung

Hi Alex,

I can confirm that updating the site sees it hang/timeout without being able to load. So this is certainly the issue that you have described in the reply. I have since done the following:

I have root terminal access into my VPS ad have updated the TCP ports for both Bitcoin and Dogecoin adapters. I will shortly be adding my wallet servers ip to this list of open ports as well.

My next question is if the wallet server is offline (the location of my bitcoind which is other than my VPS), will the site still hang?

I am almost thinking its worth installing a trimmed node onto the VPS and removing all of the other admin of opening ports and IP addresses.

Kind Regards
    Sage

alexg
    Keymaster

Hello Sage,

Yes, you should check any relevant firewalls, including software firewalls on your server.

If you have shell access on your WordPress machine, you can also use nc to check if the RPC port on the wallet server is reachable.

If the wallet server is down, then attempts to communicate with its RPC port will likely fail immediately, rather than timeout. The plugin can handle this without crashing. Only the coin on that wallet should become unavailable in the frontend UIs. If you plan to keep the server down for a while, you can deactivate the coin adapter just to be sure.

If you have any more questions please open a new thread.

with regards

P.S. In the upcoming wallets6 release, this behavior will change. Wallets will be decoupled from currencies, and therefore a currency will still be usable if the wallet is offline. Only deposits/withdrawals will obviously stop for as long as the wallet is offline.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.