I reply to all queries on the forums and via email, once per day, Monday to Friday (not weekends).

If you are new here, please see some information on how to ask for support. Thank you!

BTC node problems

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

?Hi I had KYC trouble with coinpayments so I tried to set up my own node, was difficult. I found this service,
    https://app.blockdaemon.com/yambub/marketplace/categories/-/bitcoin-core

Would it be possible to use this? If you are not sure, what can I ask their support to see if it will be possible?
    Thanks
    andy

alexg
    Keymaster

Hello Andy,

Interesting. I haven’t tested this service, but I think it can work. The reason I say this is that at the “PRICING & CAPABILITIES” section they mention “JSON-RPC with TLS”.

The plugin wants to communicate directly to the wallet over the JSON-RPC port (8332 by default). Since this connection is plaintext, normally you wouldn’t do that over the internet without some extra technology that adds encryption.

In the past, Bitcoin supported SSL via a bitcoin.conf option, rpcssl, which the plugin is compatible to. I have kept the option in the plugin because some other wallets might still be using it. The plugin uses easybitcoin’s ssl feature.

The real question here, is what do they mean by TLS. Do they mean SSL? Do you have to set up your own tuneling? Do you need to set up a certificate?

I will test the service today and find out if it works with the plugin.

I am currently busy finalizing the upcoming release 5.0.0 of the plugin. If the plugin can use this service with some minor modifications, these modifications will go into the release.

Give me some time to check, and I will get back to you soon with more details.

with regards

alexg
    Keymaster

Well, this didn’t take long.

Sadly the answer is no, you can’t use this service with the plugin as it is. These are the RPC commands allowed: https://support.blockdaemon.com/hc/en-us/articles/360032625252

You are not allowed to issue some commands that are used by the plugin, most importantly getnewaddress, sendtoaddress and getbalance.

In any case, if you are still interested in setting up a full node, you can email me, or post here about the difficulties you encountered, and I can try to help.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Thanks a lot. I found this cheap host that I think has a good rep generally, kimsufi
    https://www.kimsufi.com/en/servers.xml

I think this would be enough to run a node, only thing is they seem to come only with IPv6 – will that be a problem?

alexg
    Keymaster

Thank you for reporting this.

Unfortunately it could be a problem at this time.

I tested connecting to a local wallet with IP 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1 and the result I got back is “Port number ended with ‘:'”. This is probably coming from the PHP curl module or from the EasyBitcoin library.

Obviously I will have to investigate and fix this. I am adding it to my list, as the plugin should be made to work with IPv6.

I will contact you again here once I have a fix.

with regards

alexg
    Keymaster

Hello,

I have looked at this some more, consulted the relevant docs, and it turns out that you can use the plugin wallets on IPv6 hosts.

If you use an IPv6 address in the “Daemon RPC API IP field”, enclose it in square brackets.

For example to connect to localhost using IPv6, you would type [0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1].

Therefore I believe you will be able to connect to an IPv6 host with no issues.

with regards

Anonymous
    Inactive

This is good, thanks, the cheap kimsufi servers seem to only have ipv6.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.